Can Adjustable Beds Have Headboards?
If you own an adjustable bed, you may be wondering if it’s possible to enjoy a beautiful and comfy custom headboard.
The answer is yes—many adjustable beds accommodate headboards, and there are plenty of headboard options available to fit your bed set-up and style. Before we explore the different types of adjustable beds and ways you can add a headboard to your sleeping setup, there’s one option that may not have been obvious to you: wall-mounted headboards.
Choosing the Right Headboard Option
Being in the custom headboard business, one of the questions we hear frequently from buyers is “how will the headboard attach to my bed?” The funny thing is, for most bedroom set-ups, Edward’s Headboards doesn’t recommend a bed-mounted headboard at all, but rather a custom wall-mounted option.
It should be noted that while wall-mounted headboards are a great option for most, they don’t work for everyone. If the wall behind your bed is slanted, or your bed isn’t positioned directly against the wall, a bed-mounted headboard may work best.
Wall-Mounted Headboards Work Best
Whether you sleep in an adjustable bed or not, there are several great reasons to go for a wall-mounted headboard:
- They’re less of a hassle. Installing them is easy, and once it’s in place on your wall your work is done (and if you’ve bought one of ours, you’ve seriously upped your décor game).
- They take up less space. Wall-mounted headboards require less mounting hardware and fewer brackets, fitting cozily right up against your wall. And if you drop something behind your bed, it’s also much easier to retrieve it without having to move the whole thing.
- They’re sturdier and more durable. Beds wobble and squeak enough as it is, you don’t need to add your headboard to add to the noise. Plus, if you believe our customer reviews—our wall-mounted headboards are comfy to lean against!
- If you do use an adjustable bed—it wasn’t engineered with a headboard in mind. Adding extra weight to the frame may impede its movement.
Types of Adjustable Beds
If you would like to go the bed-mounted headboard route for your adjustable bed, it's important to understand the different types of adjustable beds available. Here are the most common types:
- Standard adjustable bed: The head and foot sections of these beds can be raised or lowered independently.
- Wall-hugging adjustable bed: The mattress of this type of bed slides back while being adjusted, meaning that the distance between the head of the bed and the wall remains relatively constant.
- Articulating adjustable bed: This type of bed allows for even greater position customization, as the mattress can be adjusted at multiple points to achieve a wide range of specific angles.
Adjustable Bed-Mounted Headboards
If a bed-mounted headboard works best for your space, you may be in luck, as some adjustable beds can accommodate headboards. The flip side of that coin is that not all headboards will work with all adjustable beds. Not sure if your bed accommodates a headboard? Contact the manufacturer, or better yet, contact us (we bet we’ll get back to you faster).
So, if possible, how do you attach a headboard to a bed? Headboard brackets. These brackets work specifically to attach a headboard to an adjustable bed. Depending on the bracket, they also sometimes allow for the headboard to move up and down with the bed, to help you maintain the same look and feel as a traditional bed.
Explore Your Custom Headboard Options
If you need an adjustable bed for health reasons or to just get a good night’s sleep, don't think that you have to give up on bedroom décor dreams. Edward’s Headboards has a custom hand-crafted headboard for any type of bed or living space. Check out our selection or send us a message, and we’ll put together a beautiful headboard to your exact style.
- Tags: adjustable bed
- Edward Boycott